I started out by applying more cross-band veneer to my piece. These were strips in between the semi-circular corner elements. This process differed a bit from day 1 in that we were fitting pieces of veneer to a specific opening rather than scribing for the opening from an existing piece of veneer. I did a thorough job of getting my dry joints nice and tight only to find out that veneer really stretches when it comes into contact with water-based glue! This was not an issue, just another part of the process as I learned the technique for slicing the pieces of veneer to create an invisible joint. The interesting part here is that it is actually best to do this in the middle of the srtip rather than at the ends. This way you can overlay the long pieces and get a perfect scarf joint.
After this was completed and while the glue was drying, I moved on to creating a lock escutcheon. This was done with a cardboard template much like the semi-circular corners were done. Thin white cardboard makes a cheap and easily tooled template materials for these kinds of tasks. I layed out the pattern on some thin stock and then drilled two holes and drew in the outline of the remainder of the escutcheon. The escutcheon was cut out on a scroll saw and the bottom edges were undercut with a gouge and hand plane to provide a tight fit when inlayed into the piece. The recess for the escutcheon was done with a small hand held router and a 1/16″ bit. It will be installed slightly proud of the surface and scraped flush.
When the glue on the cross-banding was dry we moved on to edge banding. The rebates for this were done with a sacrificial fenceon the table saw with part of the blade buried in the fence. The top surface was first scribed with a marking guage and then the rebate was created on the table saw. The scribe step eliminated and tear out as long as the cross-band venweer was glued to the surface well. Mine worked out fine. The edge banding was mitered at all four corners. This was done one piece at a time mitering the dry banding with a chisel. Of course the last corner took some additional fitting to obtain a tight joint.
Throughout the day we broke for short lectures on various topics including: bell flower and fan inlay, escutcheon inlay, edge banding and even a couple of unexpected things like door assembly with coped inside corner molds, scratch-stock jigs for cutting flutes/reeds on columns…there was even a quick discussion about doing flared federal-style feet on case pieces.
The weekend went quick but I learned a lot. I’m really looking forward to starting on the Huntboard tomorrow.